FLU Clinics 2018/19
Our clinic dates for over 18 year olds are Saturday 29th September, Saturday 6th October and Saturday 20th October 2018 - all running from 9am - 12pm.
Tuesday 13th November 8.30AM-12.30PM - WALK IN CLINIC - NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY
If you cannot make the clinic dates, please telephone the surgery on 01743 281950 to make a routine appointment.
Pre bookable clinic appointments are now available for under 18s and will be held on the following dates -
Thursday 18th October - 2.00-5.30pm
Thursday 25th October - 2.00-5.30pm
Wednesday 31st October - 2.00-5.30pm
Carers of children attending for a flu jab can also book in to these clinics. Please call the surgery on 01743 281950 to make you appointment.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE FOR FREE FLU VACCINATION?
Flu vaccination is available every year on the NHS to help protect adults and children at risk of flu and its complications.
Flu can be unpleasant, but if you are otherwise healthy it will usually clear up on its own within a week.
However, flu can be more severe in certain people, such as:
- anyone aged 65 and over
- pregnant women
- children and adults with an underlying health condition (such as long-term heart or respiratory disease)
- children and adults with weakened immune systems
Anyone in these risk groups is more likely to develop potentially serious complications such as pneumonia (a lung infection), so it's recommended that they have a flu vaccine every year to help protect them.
For 2018, there are 3 types of flu vaccine:
- a live quadrivalent vaccine (which protects against 4 strains of flu), given as a nasal spray. This is for children and young people aged 2 to 17 years eligible for the flu vaccine
- a quadrivalent injected vaccine. This is for adults aged 18 and over but below the age of 65 who are at increased risk from flu because of a long-term health condition and for children 6 months and above in an eligible group who cannot receive the live vaccine
- a trivalent injected vaccine. This is for people aged 65 and over as it has been shown to be more effective in this age group
65 and overs and the flu vaccine
You are eligible for the flu vaccine this year (2018/19) if you will be aged 65 and over on March 31 2019 – that is, you were born on or before March 31 1954. So, if you are currently 64 but will be 65 on March 31 2019, you do qualify.